Saturday, January 31, 2009

Four Unexpected Delights

Whew! It has been a while, hasn’t it? Don’t worry, as of now, Campus Catalists is back in action. We took a good, stretching break, but I think it’s about that time again. There is some serious listing to be done. So here we go, here’s your first list for 2009!

I have made some observations upon my re-arrival in Jonesboro in the last few weeks. There is a seemingly large lack of truly delicious places to go. Then as I’ve kept a hear and a taste out, I’ve made some surprising conclusions. There are a select few places around town that are able to leave quite an impression. That is, if you are willing to give them a chance to start with….

1. Don Jose. This place honestly looks completely hideous on the outside. It is a bright purple and orange building sort of behind Kroger on Caraway. Somehow, a friend convinced me to try it out, hearing rumor of free cheese dip. So we went, and honestly my food was significantly better than the same meal I had ordered at El Acapulco two nights before…and it’s cheaper.

2. Seattle Grind. This place, I’ve yet to try first hand, but the reviews pointed me in the direction of including it in this blog. It is a tiny little building in the parking lot of Startek on Caraway. You would not expect this delicious coffee to come from this small, random building, but it’s better coffee than you can find at most name brand coffee shops around town.

3. Mrs. G’s Deli. This place is sort of hidden. It’s on Culberhouse St. near Southwest Dr. This is a little “Mom and Pap” type of place that may not look very appealing, but you’ll find the quality of the food more than appetizing. Mrs. G’s offers homemade sandwiches with fresh deli meat or any kind of hotplate home-cooked meal. If you are looking for somewhere different, try here.

4. Wyatt’s. This place is somewhere that I would probably not even begin to try if someone had not recommended it highly. Apparently, this gas station restaurant at the end of Main St. serves some of the best home-cooking in Jonesboro, especially recommended for college students who miss Mom’s food. While the outside may be a turn off, I suggest at least giving the high quality rumors a try and test it out. You may be surprised at just how tasty it may be.

No comments: